Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 37 - Sleeping Cycle

Both my sisters have children and when challenges arise (think habits such as sleeping, eating, no biting) inevitably comparisons will be drawn to us when we were children. If my mom is not present, usually the conversations between us three sisters reels towards this (Note - don't worry about who said what. The culprit changes every time): 

"You were always picky as an eater. You used to dip fish in ketchup and lick it off."
"You used to ride the hobby horse naked." 
"I was two!"
"Tramp!"
"Mom nearly picked up a rat one time thinking it was one of your gerbils that got out."
"You were the one that dragged me into that empty boy's academy behind the house and we stole school berets!" (Note: Long story.)
"You wet the upper bunk of the camper bed and it rained down on Aunt Kay!"

If my mom is present, she'll graciously allow us to continue on for about 20 minutes before doling out corrections along the lines of, "No, that wasn't you. That was you."

The point of this liturgy is that I never once remember my mom saying that I was a bad sleeper - that is I pretty much went to sleep when I was supposed to go to sleep.

I wonder where that is now, that ease of sleeping. I've allowed my sleeping schedule to gravitate a bit from the norm in an attempt to determine my natural resting pattern. When working, I normally would get to bed around 9, read and have lights out by 9:30 or 10. Before you snark, I would get up at 5 or (if I slept late) 6 the next morning. 

Now, I've moved towards a later bedtime. It could be (gasp) midnight before I'm tired enough to turn the lights out. Problem is, I still have the internal alarm clock that comes crowing at 6 a.m. And it crows loud and long. Hence, for me - this is serious sleep deprivation. While geniuses such as Alfred Einstein, Da Vinci  and that kid down the street your mom always compared you to have bragged that they only need a couple of hours of sleep each night, I need a solid 8 in order to contribute to society in a positive manner. If I mix in a couple of naps (or at least one) maybe I can stay human instead of hulking out. Maybe. Or maybe I'll become a genius. Let's just wait and see. 

4 comments:

Houstonrufus said...

haha!! Good luck luvie. Honestly, a perfect existence for me would be sleep from midnight to 10 am. Nap from 3 pm to 4:30.

Unknown said...

LOL.... I haven't slept in years. It doesn't matter when I go to bed or what time I am scheduled to get up, working or not working. I wake up 5 times a night, have to roll over, try to fall back asleep, usually without success. The brain kicks in, and starts working on projects, and its all over.

Anonymous said...

No more naps! Reduce the caffeine, drink some warm milk before bed, and turn in early. Or I'll tell mom on you!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

It's because you've stopped riding the hobby horse naked. :) You need to do some crazy stuff to get you tired enough to sleep in.

No worries. Once you get used to going to bed later, you'll get used to sleeping in, too.