Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 21 - Screw You Layoff List

In anticipation of my "liberation," I created my layoff list. It's like a bucket list, but instead of really cool things like skydiving and going to Tibet, the list includes all sorts of things I should have been doing already but never did. This includes:
  • Train my dog
  • Read poetry
  • Study for my APR
  • Write for fun
  • Volunteer
  • Organize cupboards/desk/closet (They look like Medusa's head right now - dangerous.)
  • Brush up on my Spanish
And here I am, 21 days into my jobcation, and I have to say that the layoff list isn't exactly shrinking. 

On the plus side,I checked out a book on dog training today. Also today, I toured a nonprofit org today that concentrates on early literacy for children. A very good option for volunteering plus it came with the double whammy of "Hey Melanie, the world isn't all about you and your job search" (I could have sworn it was all about me. Oh well ...) And need I forget: The blogging counts as fun writing. Especially when I can wrap in more snarky comments. (I've been way too kind lately.)

The idea is that the layoff list will eventually be supplemented by things I'd like to do. For example, a police ride along. Or get my license to be a private detective. (Yes, I read too many mystery novels. Don't be too worried unless I start channeling other series I enjoy and try to cast spells or transform into a hobbit.) 

In the mean time, I keep chipping away at the list and knocking out errands in between networking and applying for jobs.  I should morph the list to include strange things as well such as begging on a corner (all money to be donated, naturally) or wearing a purple wig all day for no reason. Keep 'em guessing.

No comments: