Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 19 - Mini-Vacay and a Slutty Pocket Book

After the tireless grind of job searching, job searching, networking and job searching, today inadvertently became a day of rest. Don't get me wrong - here and there I have taken a nap or two, but never a whole day. In this situation, it runs against my preservation instincts (and could count against me when it comes to unemployment benefits. That is, if I ever frickin' get them.) 

My original plan for today was to saddle up, head back to my homestead (I'm visiting) and hit the job stalking pavement. I woke up at the (shockingly late) hour of 7 to the sound of my nephews jumping on their bed across the hall. After a quick investigation, I realized I had no skills of real deduction without coffee. Couldn't even fake it. Here's a quick breakdown of my day thus far:
  • 7:15: Cup of coffee. Must answer a question. Sip. Ok, now I can.
  • 7:30: I join my sister in the daily herding of the boys. It runs something like this: Get your clothes on. Put the toys away. You have to get dressed. Where are your pants? Did you wash your face? We're leaving in 15 minutes. Hurry or you won't get breakfast! What do you want to eat? Bacon? !! Put your shirt on. 
  • 7:45: The boys are dressed (miracle!) and loaded into the car. We begin operation drop off.
  • 8:00: One child is loaded into his car pool. My sister does an emergency face cleaning with mommy spit. Mommy spit has paralytics built into it. Children are normally immune to it though. 
  • 8:15: I declare that I need dog food. We decide to go to PetSmart.
  • 8:20: It's frickin' closed. OK, we go to Lowe's for another errand.
  • 8:40: Oooohhh, a new pot. All my plants are dead. I need a new pot. 
  • 8:43: $10.48 later ... 
  • 8:46: We move to Target. Pit stop and general browsing. 
  • 9:01: PetSmart is open! I can buy food for my crazy puggle. 
  • 9:05: $33 later ... 
  • 9:20: Oh, time to rent a video. 
  • 9:26: Crap. Does Redbox have nothing?
  • 9:42: Crap. Does this Redbox have nothing?
  • 10:15: Back at the house. We'll rent on-demand, dammit.
  • 10:16: Younger nephew, who has a cough and is recovering from pink eye, immediately scoots upstairs to play Star Wars video games.
  • 10:28: Ooooohhh, Drag Me to Hell. A young woman is cursed by a gypsy and condemned to an eternity in Hades. Sounds like my employment status. Let's watch.
  • 12:30: My nephew refuses to eat until I bribe him with McDonald's.
  • 12:27: Nephew: What do you mean we're not eating inside? We're eating inside Aunt Melanie.
  • 12:55: We did the drive through. $10 later, he's scarfing down his chicken nuggets in a window of five minutes. He did not choke, thank goodness.
  • 1:30: Back at home base and ... oooh, Law and Order SVU.
  • 2:30: Nap. Really just a doze.
  • 2:41: I should shower. 
  • 2:55: Shower. Clean up. Good. 
  • 3:11: Hit the Redbox again. Fixated on specific movie. 
  • 3:13: I win. Got the movie and then some. I. Drink. Your. Milkshake.
  • 3:28: Hmmmm - I should probably stop at Specs.
  • 3:36: $30, two bottles of wine, a six pack and three cheeky text messages to my sister later ...   
  • 3:45: Back at home base. Hmmm, time to crack open a brewsky.  
  • 3:37: Brewsky cracked. 
It's funny how such a relaxed day could showcase just how extremely slutty my wallet is - always open. It's alright. I sell a couple of my TV series DVD sets and I more than break even. Trashy pocket book.  

I did cram a job interview into today's fray as well. So I did a little bit of something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interview before or after the brewsky?

MJ Brenneman said...

Ha! Though it might have helped to drink it before the interview, I abstained until afterwards.