Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Uh, sorry. What did you say?

Interview burnout. I gotz it.

[Insert humble sentiment here. Something like: I appreciate the opportunity to interview. In this crazy buyer's market, it's a privilege to get in phone or face time. There, disclaimer and ego suppressant is activated. Blog post can continue.]

I've had about six interviews in the past week and a half. And another slated for tomorrow.  The interview cells in my brain, at least those surviving the networking happy hours, are fatigued. They reduce most interview responses to either single-syllable responses (which is not really that bad) or rambling, irrelevant  doctorates (five minutes of non-committal responses that usually don't answer the question and end with me saying, "Did I answer your question?" because I know I didn't.)

For example: One interview yesterday with an HR rep netted several awkward pauses, verbal stumbling and spacey answers (stumbling and spacey brought to you by yours truly.) It was one of the most painful 15 minutes of my life. In today's interview, two of them I knocked out of the park (and the ball, if I had actually seen it soar, probably would have landed outside of the park on the head of a burglar stealing food from the homeless at a church after said burglar beat up an elderly lady. Boo. Yah.) The third, well, that one shoved my teeth up through my mouth top, through my sinuses and settled dangerously close to my eyeballs.

Fortunately, my afternoon interview was less damaging to my general facial structure. Still, the burnout - it is there. What's the best way to kick this? Do I take a break? Do I turn an interview down? (Well, that doesn't seem logical.) Perhaps be a little bit more discriminating about my applications (which is actually not an option due to unemployment benefits requisites)? Do I pellet myself with tons and tons of interviews - mock or real - until my brain overloads and reboots (potentially turning me into a drooling lug as well)? Hire someone to be my double? Run away with the circus? Cut off all my hair? Wow. Possibilities are unlimited here. Truly.

No comments: