Friday, January 22, 2010

True or False - Question 1

True or false: Unemployment is a joyous time where you can catch up on your hobbies and relax.

Answer: False

Ever hear that saying, "Singing for your bread and butter?" It's all self sale, all the time. Every contact, every event, every e-mail, every Tweet - you are selling yourself. And the chores that map to successful job hunting are tremendous in number - trolling for and attending meetings, expanding your network, updating and enhancing your online properties, scrutinizing and reworking your resume, stalking headhunters, researching for interviews, interviewing and then obsessing over the the interviews, following up ... yep, I could go on. Suffice to say that unemployment lied to me. I thought I'd have more time to kick back, instead I'm scheduled out the wazoo. Durn you, my fanciful misconceptions of unemployment!

1 comment:

Stephanie Fazio (aka lealou) said...

When I lost my job several years back I spent 9 hours a day looking for another one. There is definitely no free time! :( -Steph