Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 5 - Tolerance

Day 5 is all about tolerance. I tested myself several times in order to exercise my patience and my (usually kneejerk) reaction to dumb people and circumstances. 

Test number 1: Go to a Starbucks in the trendy part of town and DO NOT strangle pretentious, pretty people. 

Result: Successful. I arrived for a meeting with a colleague 15 minutes early. I was immediately surrounded by size 0 women and men ranting into their Bluetooths (teeth?). After ordering (an unexpectedly yucky) skinny cinnamon dolce latte, I elbowed between track-suited minions and bleach blondes (not all women) to nab a table outside.  After 2 minutes of dealing, I pulled out my armor (aka my cell phone) and started flipping through e-mails, news stories, texts, etc. So, I kind of cheated BUT no deaths. I reaffirm my rating of "successful."

Test number 2: Wait in line to check out and NOT go ballistic

Result: Again, successful, though it can be argued that I (again) cheated. After 10 minutes of listening to small talk between the customers and the checker (which included a discussion of retirement and item prices), I bolted to the next free line and was peeling out of the parking lot while the talkie Tanyas were just wrapping up. 

Test number 3: Rush hour - Can I survive?

Result: Mixed results. On the plus side, I continued to refine my traffic tolerance as I traipsed (really drove) to a meeting (and arrived only 10 minutes late.) This is important, as my next gig could potentially involve a long commute compared to the 5 mile one I used to enjoy. On the negative side, the spitting and cursing (mine) were a bit much. Note to self: Must work on curbing (some) of that.

Test number 4: The Samsonesque Task: Office Politics 

Result: Mixed - but probably more towards the negative side. You don't have to employed to suffer office politics. When challenged with jockeying, broken-armed back patting and long-winded visions at a volunteer meeting, I felt my soul shrink a couple of inches. My eyelids actually curled into themselves at one point. It's proof that no matter what your employment status is, you'll feel the bullsh*t steam. 

Overall, I'd rate my tolerance as "above average with tendencies to go ape crazy."


No comments: