Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 1 - Liquor, Job Fairs and Liquor


It's day one of my work liberation (layoff, workforce adjustment, disinvitation, [insert euphemism here]) and inevitably I find myself at Specs.

For those of you who don't know Specs, picture Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory for liquor. Instead of an edible candy room with a confection waterfall, you have liquor slingers sharing samples of vodka, wine and (if you're really lucky) scotch.

While browsing through the wine and beer, it struck me that a liquor store is the perfect place for a job fair. It's a cost-efficient and tipsy-inducing environment. And it'd make the proceedings a little more interesting. For example: The job fair I went to this morning consisted of a lot of pitching introductions (I could kill the person that invented "elevator speech") and job hunting tips I'm already practicing. Oh - and coffee with brown Equal.

However, if you introduce liquor into you could evolve (devolve?) the proceedings with rants, occasional profanity and shot contests ("Take a shot every time they say 'professional!'" "Ack, I can't keep up!") Those that puke get the job. They then get to parade through the aisles of Chilean and French wines carrying the Pay Stub trophy, gloating, bragging, tripping or (perhaps) flashing passers-by. Everyone else gets a complimentary cab ride home.

Hey, much like good scotch, this idea has fine legs.


No comments: