Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 91 - Twitter, Tweet, Chirp, Flap and all that Jack

The arguments for Twitter, depending on which camp you're enjoying a pint of Guinness with (and in this case, I'm at the fire pit with marketers), are that it enables engagement, expands your audience and enhances communications. So we (marketers) draw up strategic plans, follow the hotshots, build up followers, stress over which applications to use, create and attend seminars with "Twitter" in the titles and use the word "brand" a lot. And by doing this, we have legitimized the outlet from a business perspective.

That's what we do. Marketers get new toys and convince everyone to play with them. It's a gift/talent, really.

But for me - above all these (legitimate) uses -Twitter is, basically, a chance to eavesdrop on everyone and all of their conversations (real time and past.) And then you add Four Square in and now you know not only what they're saying but where they are. And yes, while this may cause quite a bit of privacy concerns for folks, for me - the busy body - holy cow. I've come home. 

Someone, get me some popcorn and binoculars! If you need me, I'm at chez Kravitz.

No comments: