Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 88 - Trimming the (Eyebrow) Hedges

When you aren't employed (or at least when I am not employed), the normal procedure is to patrol every penny and scold it if it tries to leave the fold (dollar fold, that is.) Sometimes the scolding is not as harsh (think groceries [but cheap groceries, dammit, canned goods!] or bills) but parting with each coin - well it dents my monetary confidence.

Of course, the vibe to DIY is strong in this budget padawan. No car wash for me. I let the rain work it out and use my hand vac on the insides. I wash my own dog (and she doesn't smell quite as sweet as when the groomers did it.) I (inexpertly) make my own dinner instead of gnoshing at The Grove or even La Madeleine. 

This philosophy extends to my general upkeep - things like shaping eyebrows and mani/pedis. I do it myself.  With over-the-counter things you can buy that have pictures of serene women on them. (Never trust a women who looks peaceful when contemplating yanking her hair out by the roots with a sticky substance. She's the cousin of the woman who dances on the beach when she gets her monthly visitor.)

After DIY roughing it for nearly 5 month, I realized that I had accumulated a patchy unibrow and heels as thickly calloused as a cow's hoof. (Seriously, walking on hot coals would not have been a problem.) So, today, I caved. I broke protocol. I went to the nail salon for a mani/pedi and facial waxing.

And got a headful of hot wax. This wax, which was intended for my lip (yes, I have a mustache as well as a unibrow. I know, it's hard to believe I'm single.), escaped from its glob post on the Popsicle stick and stowed away in my hair, on my shirt and (somehow) on my eyelids.

OK. I learned my lesson. Sometimes DIY results don't need the Y involved.

2 comments:

Houstonrufus said...

haha!!! You silly rabbit.

unemployed mba said...

I've been thinking about cutting my own hair...it's long enough that I don't think anyone will notice if it's not EXACTLY even...right?? (it's a few inches past my shoulders - i figure that if it turns out really bad, i can pay someone to fix it)

If you feel like reading some stories about unemployment/job interviews, check out my blog too: http://unemployedmba.tumblr.com/