Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 79 - Dear Diary, Could I be (Health) Uninsurable?

Flat out - I've made mistakes handling this whole unemployment thing. Going through a new experience, sometimes you think you are prepared for everything. You research, you stockpile, you interview ... (Control freak powers - ACTIVATE!) Of course, as that intelli-ass in every class you've ever had would say (with a semi- or full-fledged sneer), "It's not always that simple."

So what slipped through the gaps in my unemployment awareness were those packets from my former employer containing the words "health insurance" and "COBRA." Call it paper blindness.

Now I find I'm entering the fray - the epic search for individual health insurance during these morphing health care times. And the clock is ticking before I hit my dreaded "60 days without coverage" benchmark, which (I believe) vastly complicates the entire acceptance process. (I think, after that point, endurance tests involving fire, leeches, dunking and peyote are initiated.)
 Luckily, I've got some warm leads from friends who have been through this. Now, it's digging through it, trying on some plans, spitting up at the prices and then sucking it up. Or maybe I just say "What the hell" and make myself completely uninsurable. Surely, nothing bad can some from that.

No comments: